Is it your first day on the job? Still trying to learn the ins and outs of UITS? Learn how to hit the ground running at your new workplace.
Employee transitions: onboarding and separation
Training for new employees
The UITS orientation lays the foundation for a successful career. The UITS HR Generalist will contact you to schedule an orientation before your first day of employment.
New employees will be invited to a campus-wide orientation shortly after their first day. Visit the IUHR Employment website for additional information.
Accounts and services
Creating an IU account
IU students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and guests can use the Account Management Service to create and manage their computing accounts and passphrases.
Use the employee center to access and update personal information, as well as payroll, tax, and benefit information.
The IU CrimsonCard is the official photo ID card for all campuses. It provides essential university services as well as secure entry to campus buildings. Employees may obtain a CrimsonCard from any campus card services location.
Computer setup & technical support
Executive and Internal Technology Support (EITS) manages inter-campus technical support 24 hours per day, 365 days per year for IU Bloomington and IUPUI UITS staff.
IU employees can purchase a parking permit through IU Parking Operations online or by visiting one of the on-campus offices. They have the option to pay in full or using a monthly pre-tax deduction on their paycheck.
New UITS employees will need to complete several steps once they begin work, partly with the help of their manager or supervisor.
- Access management
- Create IU Network ID
- Set up email
- Sign the acceptable use agreement
- Activate Duo authentication tokens
- Enroll in benefits
- Office space request (IUPUI/IUB)
- E-mail Tina Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org, include the employee’s name and requested location
- Computer/software setup and support
- Telecomm service request
- Physical mailbox
- Team introductions
- Business cards
- Expectations, including:
- Work schedule
- Telecommuting options and agreement
- Protocols for requesting PTO and absence notification
- Performance goals
- Request secure building access once Crimson Card is obtained, email email@example.com
Download the manager’s onboarding guide for the full checklist and schedule of tasks.
- Schedule department orientation
- I-9 verification
The status of ending employment includes retirements, resignations, and terminations. Protocol must be followed whenever employees end their tenure, and both employees and managers have responsibilities to complete.
- Resignation letter should be sent to UITS HR, firstname.lastname@example.org, and UITS Payroll, email@example.com, to initiate the internal separation process.
- Employees or users ending employment (voluntarily or otherwise)
- Supervisors or managers separating a staff member or whose staff member is ending employment voluntarily
- Human Resources (in the case of any departing employee)
- Separation requirements include:
- Removing employee’s server storage account (EITS)
- Canceling long-distance phone ID, cards, and all other phone systems (VPITPHON)
- Canceling campus mailbox
- Notifying WCCOPS (machine room) about system ownership details
- Revoking building access (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Completing employee’s ePTO calendar
- Schedule exit interview if necessary