Paid time off (vacation, sick, and holidays)
Paid time off (PTO) benefits provide time off for vacation, sick leave, funeral attendance, and other absences from work. Full-time exempt staff and non-exempt non-union PAO and PAU staff employees earn 30 days of paid time off each year. After five years of service, they earn 36 days a year.
All appointed staff also enjoy 10 paid holidays a year.
Additional paid time off is granted for specific purposes, such as paid parental leave, military leave, court duty, voting, adverse weather, adverse working conditions, IU-sponsored volunteer events, and injury on the job.
Appointed exempt staff employees:
- Can use PTO on the first day of the month following the month it is earned.
- Can use as much PTO as is earned from January 1 to December 31 of each year.
- Can carry over unused PTO up to what is earned in one year to the next calendar year.
- Can allocate up to a maximum of 12 days of unused PTO to a sick leave account at the end of each year. Time in the sick leave account can be used to cover absences for personal and family medical needs.
- Unused PTO is paid at time of separation from the university.
For a full explanation of this plan and its provisions, see the policy, Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt staff and Non-Exempt Non-Union PAO and PAU staff.
Questions or need assistance?
If you have questions or need assistance with paid time off, email firstname.lastname@example.org.