Family and Medical Leave Act
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides up to 12 weeks of absence (480 hours) in a single calendar year to eligible employees for certain family and medical reasons.
To be eligible, an employee must:
- have been employed by IU for at least 12 months
- have worked at least 1,250 hours preceding the first day of FMLA leave
- not have already received 12 weeks of FMLA leave in the current calendar year
Qualifying FMLA reasons include:
- a serious personal health condition
- serious health conditions for the immediate family, such as a legal spouse, dependent children under age 18, or the parents of the employee
- birth of a new child
- adoption or foster care
- military leave
To apply for FMLA:
- Employees need to complete FMLA Form 1 - Sections 1 & 2 (Notice of Designation, Request, and Approval) and send their completed form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at 812-855-0349. UITS HR will respond to the employee request within five business days.
- Upon application review, if the employee is eligible for the leave requested, UITS HR will issue a conditional approval.
- Within 15 calendar days of receiving their conditional approval, the employee must have their primary care physician or presiding health care provider complete FMLA Form #2E (Medical Certification for Employee) or FMLA Form #2F (Medical Certification for Family) and return it to UITS Human Resources via email at email@example.com or via fax at 812-855-0349.
- Upon receiving the completed FMLA Medical Certification form, UITS Human Resources will review the documentation and issue an official approval notice to the employee and their manager with further instructions.
- Employees are not required to disclose the need for FMLA with their manager before approval.
- Employees are not required to inform their manager of the reason they need FMLA.
- Employees are allowed to use up to a total of 480 hours of FMLA per year.
- Employees are responsible for tracking and keeping their ePTO calendars and Kuali time up to date and accurate. (See an example of an FMLA Attendance Tracking Sheet)
- Employees are responsible for communicating with their manager about absences and anticipated time off.
- Employees who are dealing with a lifelong condition or diagnosis are required to resubmit an updated medical certification on a yearly basis.
For a full explanation of this leave and its provisions, see the information provided by University Human Resources:
If you have questions or need assistance with FMLA, email firstname.lastname@example.org.